Our board members work diligently to provide and enhance FLV programs to enrich your family’s experience at fun and educational community events.
- FLV Presents
- Sprout Lounge Childcare
- EAKK! (Eco-Art Kidz Kollectiv!)
- FLV 2 Go and EAKK! 2 Go
- Playdates 4 A Cause
- Support Network Forum
FLV Los Angeles (FLV_CA-LA) organizes monthly potluck gatherings. These can be either with guest speakers or Documentary & Dinner Nights. This program presents educational topics that harmonize with FLV’s mission. While the parents are learning in the “adult room” through the presentations, the children also get the opportunity to learn simultaneously in the “Sprout Lounge” using our EAKK! program (see below under EAKK! Program for further description).
Extensive research on the guest speakers and documentaries are performed several months in advance and scheduled to fit our monthly calendar within a 6-month timeframe. All documentaries are purchased DVDs that go into our growing library of resources (i.e. books, cds, pdf’s, etc) which eventually can be rented out for a minimal fee to FLV members.
We just recently changed the door fee from $15 per family for the workshop to a LOVE donation of $12 per family – which means no one will be turned away due to lack of funds.
But please know that every little bit counts so whatever you are able to give, we greatly appreciate it as we are still working on becoming a non-profit organization and/or to be affiliated with a like-minded organization for a fiscal sponsorship.
During the monthly FLV Presents workshops, we offer childcare for families. Parents and caregivers have the opportunity to be fully present to learn while being re-assured their children are in good hands.
Our vision is to have the Sprout Lounge caregivers simultaneously learning along side the parents and families by having each caregiver rotate out of the Sprout Lounge to learn in the “adult room” with us so that they can utilize this knowledge in the Sprout Lounge. Thus, fully encompassing the concept of it taking a village to raise a child.
FLV charges $8 for the first child in a family and $4 for each additional child in the family. All Sprout Lounge childcare monies go to the Sprout Lounge caregivers after the workshop is finished.
An eco-interactive environment for our children where they can discover and learn the value of creating fun and educational art projects from recycled materials. Our local FLVillagers collect household items, as well as items from schools and restaurants to create eco-friendly art projects for the children that not only prevents junk from going into the landfills and oceans but it helps to broaden the families’ perspective of recycling junk into fun art!
The global mission for the EAKK! Program is to form allies with schools, restaurants, organizations and corporations to support the EAKK! projects by donating their “junk” to FLVillages for gatherings and large-scale events. This not only supports the “junk into fun art” concept but it educates these organizations towards becoming conscious citizens of the world.
Samples of EAKK! projects (decorated with various supplies from home and/or donated):
- Shakers made from recycled cans and/or empty toilet paper rolls
- Potted plant holders made from recycled small yogurt containers
- Marble maze made from empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls
Most of the art projects are well thought out to match either the topic of the workshop or a holiday.
Samples of EAKK!-themed art projects:
- The topic: Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils and Its Medicinal Uses for the Whole Family. Art project: Sachet bag making with aromatherapy oils and scented dried flowers/plants.
- The holiday: St. Patrick’s Day. Art project: Shape of a rainbow pasted on a piece of cardboard. Children decorate the rainbow by gluing on colored rice (i.e. green, red, blue, etc), learn about colors, and have a story time about leprechauns.
The same program that we offer to the families during FLV Presents workshops, as well as the same program we offer to children in the Sprout Lounge with EAKK! projects are also offered to families at bigger events with several added benefits. The following benefits include:
- Family Love Yoga & Pilates – This workshop offers parents a fun way to rejuvenate, play, and bond with their child. Our yoga instructor uses a combination of movement, breath, and meditation methods to strengthen and lengthen your entire body with emphasis on balance, strength, and flexibility, as well as Kundalini techniques taught by Yogi Bhajan. Inclusive exercises are proven to improve children’s proprioceptive and developmental awareness and at the same time the whole family can enjoy a pleasurable workout!
- KinderMix Party – FLVillage DJ Daddies take you around the world, through space and time with music that is specifically geared towards kids but still fun for adults! Families can groove and participate to a clever mix of children’s classics blended with playful grown up tunes. Interactive dance, rhythm and music games engage children and help kids develop their balance, coordination and self-confidence.
- World Citizen Baby – is a parent and child music and movement class designed to build a larger understanding of our global community. We playfully explore different musical traditions using call and response singing and drumming, as well as instruments, movement, and languages from around the world, while giving parents and children a place to grow and develop their own personal communities.
FLV coordinates outings where we serve the greater community with our children. This allows us to give back to the community and give back to our children with the experience of conscious living and compassion. Playdate examples include: visiting a farm for rescued animals, cleaning up the beach, donating items such as clothes, books ,and toys to families in need.
“One of the sayings in our country is Ubuntu – the essence of being human. Ubuntu speaks particularly about the fact that you can’t exist as a human being in isolation. It speaks about our interconnectedness. You can’t be human all by yourself, and when you have this quality – Ubuntu – you are known for your generosity. We think of ourselves far too frequently as just individuals, separated from one another, whereas you are connected and what you do affects the whole World. When you do well, it spreads out; it is for the whole of humanity.” ~ Archbishop Desmond Tutu
The program weaves in the essence of the above philosophy into FLV. We do this by having FLVillagers volunteer time, such as, organizing meal trains, swapping childcare, gardening, cleaning, or whatever needs that may arise for families that could use a helping hand.
FLV serves as an open forum both online and in person where families can feel comfortable discussing and sharing triumphs, concerns, and frustrations. By sharing and listening to each other’s parenting/caregiving experiences, we are all able to share solutions and grow. FLV currently utilizes Facebook, Yahoogroups, and our weekly iMagazine, the FLVillage Crier to continue supporting one another.